Essential Functions and Qualifications of Camp War Eagle Staff
The principal mission of Camp War Eagle is to help campers establish and deepen relationships with Jesus Christ. Each employee serves as a teacher and role model of the Christian beliefs, principles and values embraced by Camp War Eagle. Nightly devotionals and evening worship services, plus other aspects of our religious programming, are essential components of what we do. All employees are expected to be able to carry out the relational ministry to campers that is the core of our existence.
The Camp War Eagle program also involves a wide range of sports and recreational activities. Work with Camp War Eagle is very active and physically challenging for staff members. Regular attendance and active participation in daily activities is a requirement. Daily activities include, but are not limited to, swimming, hiking, running, jumping, contact sports, games and other children’s activities, most of which require physical stamina. Most activities are conducted outdoors. A successful staff member must be able to perform all essential functions, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Constant 24 hour supervision of campers ages 7 to 17 for a five to twelve week time period, depending on contract.
- Understand and carefully follow all camp procedures and policies, and hold campers and other staff accountable, including:
- Ensuring that appropriate procedures are followed in dealing with abuse or discipline problems, as outlined during orientation and
- Providing adequate support and timely referrals to appropriate staff regarding personal issues such as eating disorders, mental illnesses, tragedy, etc.
Specific essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Supervise directly a group of children and ensure their safety and wellbeing at all times and respond to critical incidents as outlined during orientation;
- Teach in one or more areas of the Camp War Eagle program;
- Coach a team in competition;
- Serve as Christian role model and teacher of religious principles, values and lifestyle for campers;
- Engage in relational Christian ministry to campers;
- Lead and participate in various Christian religious activities and programs with campers and other staff including nightly devotionals, evening worship services, and other camp religious programming;
- Work outdoors in the heat of the summer or inclement weather for extended hours;
- Reside in non air-conditioned, rustic and remote living quarters;
- Work in remote areas for extended periods of time with little to no access to food or medical attention;
- Supervise and actively participate in daily camp activities and weekly trips, which include, but are not limited to hiking, running, jumping, contact sports, games and other children’s activities such as swimming in a lake (e.g., when at the waterfront area, if not lifeguarding, staff members are expected to be IN the water, swimming and playing with kids, while providing ACTIVE supervision);
- Participate in at least one hour every day of rigorous team competition and two to three hours of individual instruction, most of which require physical stamina and includes participation in contact sports. Active participation in these activities can include, but is not limited to, frequent running, jumping, cutting, pivoting, throwing, standing, walking, bending, stooping, crouching, reaching at, above and below shoulder level, pushing, pulling, twisting at the waist, handling, gripping, grasping; and
- Lift and move heavy equipment and objects weighing 25-50 pounds (i.e., coolers, canoes, program equipment, etc.).
- Ability to attend a mandatory 8-day orientation and training program at the beginning of the summer. During the orientation, the staff member must be able to pass the training for CPR/First Aid or have the ability to obtain such certification prior to orientation by an accredited agency.
Qualifications for Camp War Eagle staff members include, but are not limited to the following:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have completed one year of college or its equivalent.
- Be eligible to work in the US.
- Share the Christian faith, beliefs, values and principles of Camp War Eagle, including belief in the truth of the Bible and salvation through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Love for kids.
- Be a positive, upbeat, Christian role model.
- Hearing and visual capacity, and strength, agility and stamina, to supervise and actively participate safely in a range of fast-paced sports and recreational activities with children.
- Must lift and move heavy equipment and objects weighing 25-50 pounds.
- Must withstand summer heat and humidity, and inclement weather, including outdoor sports and other activities and residence in un-air conditioned living quarters.
- Must live and work in remote areas, rustic facilities, and on rough terrain for extended periods with little or no access to food or medical attention.
- Sense of responsibility and accountability needed to lead and hold others to compliance with camp rules and procedures.
Due to the fast-paced schedule; sensory stimulating dining hall experience, and emotionally and physically demanding role of a summer staff member,
- If a medical condition(s) exists, the staff member must be capable of performing all essential functions listed above and capable of “self-management” of his or her own condition;
- If the staff member is currently or has recently been under the care of a therapist for any reason, that staff member must be able to self-manage their condition while under the employ of Camp War Eagle;
- Extreme eating differences or medically verifiable allergies must be considered on a case by case basis;
- If surgery has been performed for orthopedic repairs, the staff member must be able to perform all functions listed above and must use supports (braces, knee sleeves, etc.) during all physical activities as directed by physician. A release from the physician must be sent to camp if the device is not necessary.
This list of essential functions and qualifications is not intended to be all-inclusive. A staff member may also perform other functions assigned by Camp War Eagle. The essential functions may be modified by Camp War Eagle at any time. By signing your name below, you agree that you have read the above essential functions and verify that you are capable of performing these functions safely.